Thursday, November 28, 2013

Disintegrate by Christine Klocek-Lim - 3 stars

DISINTEGRATE by Christine Klocek-Lim provides a fantastic new look at the blessings and horrors of genetic mutations in humans. I give it 3 stars.

In the novel, Emily lives the typical poor college student life, eating ramen noodles and barely scraping enough money together for tuition and books, but Emily is anything but typical. Due to some scientific experiments performed by her parents, Emily has the power to manipulate inorganic material and disintegrate organic material.

One night while suffering a bout of insomnia, Emily is drawn by an odd sort of buzzing to a dive bar, where a guy named Jax is playing the guitar. As it turns out, Jax shares Emily's buzz, and when a group of mercenaries attack the club, Jax and Emily realize they share more than a mere attraction. Together they will have to figure out how to survive and build a life as their world disintegrates.

On the whole I enjoyed DISINTEGRATE. The characters were believable, and the plot action-packed. I appreciated the young adult aspect of the novel; the romance was sweet and realistic.

I would have liked to see more of an introduction to the characters and their issues in the beginning. It felt like I had been dropped into the middle of the story. Likewise, the ending felt incomplete and unresolved. I wondered if I missed something or if this was the second book in a trilogy. This was a major issue for me the entire book because I had so many questions that were not answered. Hence, the three star rating instead of four.

Notwithstanding my unanswered questions, DISINTEGRATE was a quick read and well worth the effort.


**Review originally written for The Romance Reviews.com at http://www.theromancereviews.com/viewbooks.php?bookid=9817.